1 Choice of design and material
- 1.1 Simplicity and functionality
- 1.2 Materials
- 2 Design
- 3 Where to buy materials
- 4 Production based on an old headset
- 5 Assembling a headset from scratch
- 6 Tool
- 7 Conclusion
The kitchen furniture market can be represented as follows: high quality and very expensive, just expensive and not the fact that it is high quality. Therefore, many are looking for a way to make a kitchen set yourself. Moreover, today you can buy almost any material, accessories, tools, etc. In practice, homemade models often turn out to be no worse, and often even better than factory ones.
But to make a kitchen set with your own hands, you have to work with both your hands and your head.
Making furniture will take some experience and diligence.
Choice of design and material
Simplicity and functionality
Avoid irregular shapes and fanciful colors, a plain homemade kitchen set of a simple shape is our choice.
So, if you decide to work with your own hands, then you immediately face a dilemma: what design to choose? The answer is simple - we choose the simplest, most functional and convenient design.
Here the classic of kitchen furniture comes to our rescue - these are cabinets with drawers, which are collected together and covered with a common tabletop (as in the photo above).
This modification has several advantages:
- Possibility of modular assembly, when each element is designed and assembled separately;
- This design is suitable for both large and small kitchens;
- During the production of furniture of this configuration, a huge amount of methodological material has accumulated and the most efficient combinations of materials, accessories and sizes have been worked out;
- In practice, such furniture is comfortable, spacious and durable enough;
- If you do not know how to make a kitchen set yourself, a standard and time-tested model will require a minimum of knowledge and creative effort, which is much better for a beginner;
- When cutting parts, you do not have to work with complex curvilinear cuts and obtuse corners, which will greatly facilitate your task;
- The simpler the mechanism, the more reliable it is in operation. This is a universal rule of mechanics;
- It is much easier to find the necessary fittings, facades, countertops, etc.
- When assembling, the usual, standard connection methods are used: screws, dowels, nails, glue;
- The standardized sizing system in multiples of 15 centimeters also greatly facilitates design and subsequent cutting, assembly and fitting.
In addition, do not forget about such an opportunity as reworking a kitchen set with your own hands. This is quite a worthy option, because you will get rid of the lion's share of manipulation, design and other headaches.
The correct choice of material is the key to a successful result.
Go ahead. To understand how to make a kitchen set yourself, you need to know what kitchen sets are made of.
First, let's list all the possible options:
- Solid wood. The most durable and preferred option, but also the most expensive;
- Painted MDF. A very, very good choice, excellent performance, but the price is also appropriate;
- Laminated chipboard. Much cheaper than the first two options, it has proven itself well in practice. Used even by Italian craftsmen.
- Postforming. The most practical and durable material. Not quite natural, as plastic. It often has very bright colors, but you can also find not very saturated ones.
- Chipboard without coating. Can be used for side and back walls of pedestals, cabinets and drawers. Fiberboard - for the back walls of your cabinets and cabinets.
You should choose the material that you touched and saw with your own eyes.
To do this, before making the kitchen set yourself, it will not be superfluous to walk to a furniture store or a building supermarket and consider all types of materials.
So what is the best way to make kitchen furniture? As a rule, for the independent manufacture of furniture, either painted MDF or veneered chipboard is chosen. You can also use array for kitchen facades, and the remaining areas should be assembled from uncoated chipboard or MDF boards.
In any case, a project and a drawing are necessary, nothing better has been invented yet.
There is an opinion that only professionals in factories use drawings, and they are not particularly needed for independent production.
This is not true.
Everything is just the opposite: a master can work based on his knowledge and experience, but a beginner needs a project and a drawing.
So, before we ourselves make a kitchen set, we need to draw up a project and complete a drawing. How can you do this without knowledge of descriptive geometry, engineering graphics and all sorts of standards?
The answer is obvious: you should use a computer that is in every home today. Moreover, all the difficult and routine work has already been done for us - a lot of programs have been written, there are many editors and descriptions for them.
You can use autocad, but it's better to start with something simpler. One of the simplest and most intuitive programs is the PRO100. Almost any user will deal with this editor in a couple of hours. You end up with something like this:
An example of a drawing of a kitchen set from the PRO100 program.
For the calculations of fittings and schemes for its installation with markings, you can use proprietary programs written for a specific brand (all self-respecting companies have acquired such software). For example, Blum Dynalog program:
This is how the editor window for Blum Dynalog fittings looks.
At the design stage, you must decide on the technique: oven, stove, sink, washing machine and dishwasher.
If you have not yet purchased all the equipment, you can download the technical documentation for these devices with dimensions online.
This saves you all sorts of adjustments, extra milling and other surprises.
Where to buy materials
Facades from painted MDF.
So, we have already drawn up a project, the result of which should be a drawing and detailing of all parts. Based on these documents, we draw up a list of the details we need and draw up it in the form of an Excel file:
List of all necessary parts in the form of an Excel file.
With this file in paper and electronic forms, we go to the workshop of a company that produces furniture facades and sells plywood, solid wood, MDF, etc.
Facade manufacturing companies have a so-called chipboard warehouse program, which includes those options for the colors and thicknesses of plywood, which they constantly keep in stock.
It is advisable that the list we need was included in this program, then there is no need to buy extra material in sheets, but it will be possible to order the cutting of exactly the amount that we need.
Companies engaged in edging and cutting of chipboard, MDF and the production of facades are present today in almost every major city in Russia and the CIS countries.
It is more profitable to buy from such firms for several reasons:
- Lower price;
- More choice;
- Better cutting and edging quality;
- Possibility of purchasing non-standard parts.
Production based on an old headset
When converting, replace the fasteners with new ones.
If your old typeface suits you in terms of geometry, and you are used to it, then it is better to use it as a basis. But how to remodel a kitchen set with your own hands?
- First, it needs to be taken apart. We disconnect all the collapsible elements of the old headset. We remember what and where should be.
- Secondly, we clean the old surfaces with sandpaper, wash and put all the furniture parts in order.
- Thirdly, we remove the dimensions of the facades and doors. We will replace them with new ones.
- Finally, we change all the fittings, screws and connections. These are the most wearing parts.
- According to the received dimensions, we order new parts in the store or in the warehouse, as in the previous paragraph, and reassemble the headset.
Before you make a new one from an old kitchen set, you need to make sure that it completely suits you in terms of design, location, height and spaciousness.
Otherwise, you will waste your efforts and resources.
This is the most rational and inexpensive option. All furniture is made according to standard schemes, only facades and fittings differ. So why reinvent the wheel and build an entire body from scratch when you have a ready-made one that can be easily updated?
On our site you can find a lot of descriptions of such work. We can say that this is a modern trend, since not everyone has the opportunity to buy ready-made furniture, not everyone has enough time and desire to make furniture from scratch, but a new thing usually does not cause an old one problems.
Assembling a headset from scratch
Clamps can be used to secure individual pedestals before final assembly.
So, we have a project, on the basis of which we purchased all the necessary materials. You can cut individual elements yourself, or you can order from a seller.
Let's describe the process in steps:
- We choose a headset of a simple design (in our case, these are drawers with retractable kitchen cabinetsconnected by a table top);
- We master the PRO100 program and create a project with a drawing, detailing the dimensions, fasteners and parameters of all elements;
- Using the program for the selection of fittings (in our case, it is Blum Dynalog), we create a diagram of the installation of fasteners, hinges, handles and sliding mechanisms;
- We bring a list of all the necessary parts and fittings into a separate Excel file, on the basis of which we make the purchase of all materials and accessories;
- In accordance with the drawing, we make a cut or order it to the seller (we buy from the manufacturer, he has this opportunity);
- If we collect furniture on dowels, then with the help of a conductor we make holes and spikes, it is better to use a confirmat for these purposes;
connection of furniture parts using a confirmation
- We assemble each individual cabinet according to the drawing (frame with fittings for the boxes), then we assemble the boxes, attach the facades to them, close the cabinets with the back wall, mount the legs;
- We make holes in the back walls for sockets and all kinds of pipes;
- We put the cabinets together, fix them with clamps, set them according to the level, put the stove, the washing machine and mount kitchen countertop;
- We install a sink, taps and connect plumbing fixtures to a sink and household appliances;
- We mount the crocodile hinges and hang the doors.
Drawer unit frame with drawer fittings and back panel.
There is nothing to do without modern and high-quality power tools in furniture production.
To work you need the following set of tools:
- A hammer;
- Electric saw;
- Electric jigsaw;
- Electric planer;
- Plumb line;
- Workbench or sturdy table;
- Conductor for dowel holes;
- Electric drill and drill set;
- Construction knife;
- A set of files and files;
If you are struggling with money, you do not need to buy all of the power tools listed.
Modern supermarkets have a rental department where you can rent almost any power tool.
Also, protective equipment will not interfere: gloves, goggles, a respirator and a gown. Do not neglect these things - health is more valuable than any money, especially since these funds are inexpensive.
If possible, it is better to use a laser rangefinder for measurements.
As practice shows, the lion's share of errors occurs precisely during measurements, because the error when using a tape measure is quite large.
Those who decide to make a kitchen set on their own should remember a few points: it will take a lot of time, patience, energy and attention. You should also understand that not everything works out the first time, and do not get upset in case of failure, a mistake is also an experience.
Finally, you must prepare as much as possible in terms of theory. For these purposes, you can find a video on our website.
It would be nice for beginners to enlist the support of a more experienced comrade, in extreme cases, just an intelligent assistant will do, because two heads, as you know, are better.