1 About safety, good taste rules, and mixers
- 1.1 Useful little things of the preparatory period
- 1.2 Have spread and started
- 1.3 Break, not build, but you have to build
- 1.4 First start-up and repair
- 2 Finally
If you are supplying water in the kitchen from scratch, then consider yourself very lucky. You can initially do everything correctly and ergonomically, so that, if necessary, have maximum access to plumbing systems, to be able to carry out a "dry" replacement of the out of order equipment.
If you connect to an existing network, you also have every chance to carry out not only the installation of the mixer in the kitchen, but also to install the entire system under the above template.
With a slight movement of the hand, the mixer is set in place.
We have one more good news for you. The fact is that the ready-made instruction, the preface to which you are already reading, will consider all installation options: both with replacing old equipment, and installing new equipment from scratch.
Moreover, you can do all the above manipulations with your own hands, without resorting to the help of a plumber and saving the family budget.
About safety, good taste rules, and mixers
The approach should be as convenient as possible.
Isn't it true, it reminds stories about kings and cabbage, but we will leave the kings to courtyards, cabbage - to wallets and vegetable gardens, and we will deal with security issues:
- When water is supplied, when various network elements are connected, there are areas of increased risk. These are the joining of materials using rubber or rubberized gaskets.
Advice! Try to plan the system so that the number of such connections is minimal along the path from the pipe to the mixer.
- The second prerequisite that must be provided for the installation of plumbing equipment is the installation of shut-off taps. They are usually installed immediately on a stationary pipe, and flexible hoses from the mixer are already connected to them.
Especially we post a mega demonstrative photo in an enlarged size.
Note! You can consider it a rule of good form that each individual point in the water supply system should have a shut-off ball valve. This has its advantage. If necessary, you dehydrate one point, and you can safely use others, why should the whole family suffer?
- And the third is the choice of plumbing equipment. The low price of a product does not always mean that you are lucky. As a rule, quite the opposite. Cheap mixers, connecting hoses are often low-quality products of Turkish and Chinese production, the service life of which is limited.
On a note! Choosing the right mixer is important. And here you can focus on the following indicators: brand and word of mouth.
Both of these indicators have the highest degree of reliability. Any self-respecting company is interested in the quality of its products. And the most objective quality criterion is user reviews.
The right choice is the key to success.
See also the article “How to install the kitchen combination faucet”.
Useful little things of the preparatory period
Any work begins with preparation, often the final result depends on the quality of such preparation. In this section, we present a set of useful tips that will certainly come in handy when installing your kitchen faucet.
In this sink, the tap hole was cut.
- Mixer selection. The selection criteria are clear to you, you can only add to them that the tap spout should be located in the center of the sink. Be sure to pay attention to the completeness when purchasing the product (flexible hoses and a set of rubber gaskets must be attached to each mixer in the kit), as well as the warranty period.
Important! When choosing and buying a set, pay attention to the diameter of the coupling nuts, they are usually half an inch.
If the thread diameter of your ball valve is larger, or you decide (despite our advice) to dock flexible hose directly to the pipe, the diameter of which is different from the one proposed, then in such cases you will need adapter.
- Checking the mixer socket. If you install the product in an existing hole, then when you buy you just something it is necessary to make sure that the mixer chosen by you will fit into the proposed hole. The same goes for the sink just purchased and installed in the countertop. But what if there is no tap hole in the sink? In this case, pay attention to our recommendations.
Note! If your ceramic sink doesn't have a tap hole, don't fret. It will still fit into a single worktop, and drilling a hole in the worktop under the mixer is a trivial matter.
In pursuit! Stainless steel sinks have special shelves for dishes with additional drainage. They also lack a fixed place for a tap.
In this case, there is a very simple way out. At the points of sale of such products, for a reasonable fee, they will make a neat hole for the mixer, and in the size that you specify and in the place that you need.
- Tool selection. Installing a mixer in the kitchen, as well as dismantling the old one, with the subsequent installation of a new one, probably requires a minimum amount of tools. These are two adjustable wrenches, pliers and a curly screwdriver. And that's all. For dismantling, we recommend that you stock up on useful WD-40 grease.
The adjustable wrench can do everything by itself.
Have spread and started
It is advisable to cover the place of the proposed work with any material. Packaging cardboard has proven itself very well.
The fact is that a metal product falling from a height can damage the floor covering. And one more event can greatly facilitate the whole process - it means moving the sink away from the wall, but this is possible.
Almost assembly and disassembly of the machine.
Advice! When accessing the mixer from one side, remove as much as possible all interfering parts of other systems. This refers to the nodes of the wastewater disposal system. Access for such works should be as convenient as possible.
And then we consistently solve a number of tasks. And first, let's answer the question of how to unscrew the mixer in the kitchen.
We answer - step by step:
- The first stage of work will be to shut off the water in the system. Even without our advice, it is clear that dismantling a tap with circulating water in the system will not lead to anything good. After that, the taps are opened and the remaining water is released from the system. The mixer is ready to be dismantled.
- Next, using adjustable wrenches, disconnect the hoses from the taps or pipes.
Advice! But now it will really be in place. With long-term operation of the hoses, the nuts-couplings seem to stick to the connection. In this case, it would be very appropriate to treat the compound with WD-40. It handles such problems in a matter of seconds.
- The next step may not be necessary if dismantling the direct attachment of the mixer to the sink or to the countertop does not cause any difficulties. This refers to the disconnection of the hoses directly from the mixer. The dismantling technique completely repeats the disconnection technique described in the previous paragraph. And even the application of WD-40 is similar. The only difference is that pliers will be used to disassemble the connections, not adjustable wrenches.
- Further, the mixer itself must be disassembled. There shouldn't be any difficulties here either. With the WD-40, we spray the retaining nut. Supporting the mixer body, use an adjustable wrench to drive the fastening nut clockwise. After the nut has moved from its place and passed part of the way, then it can be easily removed by hand.
Note! It is very rare, but it happens that wear of the connecting system leads to the fact that the fastening nut cannot be removed from the mixer thread. In this case, we need a grinder. The nut can be cut across to reduce the grip on the threads and removed with pliers.
Now that you have figured out how to remove the faucet in the kitchen, move on to the next step.
Read also the article on installing a faucet in the kitchen.
Break, not build, but you have to build
If you were deprived of the charms of dismantling, well, you are a happy person. Now you will be doubly happy because you will learn how to properly install the mixer in the kitchen.
The installation of the kitchen mixer is also carried out step by step:
- The first is exposing the entire mixer structure in a prepared nest. As a rule, a graphic answer to the question of how to put a mixer in the kitchen is shown in the instructions-insert for the mixer. First, a rubber gasket is placed on the hole, a metal base plate is on top, then the mixer itself is inserted. From the inside, we put another gasket on a threaded metal rod and tighten it all with a fastening nut. Please note that there are fasteners without an inner rubber ring and the tightening is done manually without using a tool. All these nuances are written in the attached instructions.
- Next, we connect a hose for hot and cold water, each in its own socket.
Advice! It is possible to install hoses before installing the mixer in a stationary socket. It doesn't matter. In any case, when performing this step, make sure that each hose is located exactly in its own socket.
Look for the logo on the lever valve for guidance. The red half will indicate the location of the hot water connection, the blue half for cold water.
- And then, using an adjustable wrench, connect each of the hoses to its own pipe.
Here's how to put together a kitchen faucet.
First start-up and repair
How to connect a mixer in the kitchen is already clear, but the first launch of the system is a truly exciting moment. We open the shut-off valves, run cold water through the system, then hot water, and everything works, hurray!
Now all that remains is to enjoy the benefits of civilization in a single kitchen. But for every barrel of fun, there is one little spoon, let's call it breakage.
And there can be several answers to the question of how to fix a mixer in the kitchen:
- Check the connecting hoses, from experience, most often they begin to leak water at the connection points. Here the solution is simple, change the gaskets. If water oozes out of the hose body, the entire hose must be replaced.
- A common cause of water leaks is worn cartridges in two-valve mixers. In this case, they are the ones to be replaced. Here, the replacement mechanism is also simple. In the tap, the colored nozzle on the valve is unscrewed with pliers, then the valve itself is unscrewed with a curly screwdriver, and after that the connecting nut-retainer of the cartridge is removed. Such goodness on the market is apparently invisible, choose and change.
So buy and change.
- And finally, there are situations in which a leak occurs from the body of the mixer itself, the seam oozes. There is nothing to do here, it is necessary to replace the mixer itself.
It's hard to imagine homework that the landlord couldn't do. Installing the mixer is also a simple job.
For a more complete understanding of what you have read, we have prepared for you a photo and video accompaniment, watch and comprehend.
Read also the article “How to fix a kitchen faucet in an affordable way”.