1 Types of hoods for the kitchen
- 1.1 Installation classification
- 1.2 By method of work
- 1.3 Calculation of the required power
- 2 Earthing
3 Hood installation
- 3.1 Anti-return mechanism
- 3.2 Duct connection
- 4 Conclusion
The kitchen is a room in which a lot of fat vapors and fumes are generated. In this regard, it needs special protection. This article will discuss how to do ventilation in the kitchen with your own hands.
To ensure clean air in the kitchen, you will have to work hard
Types of hoods for the kitchen
Ventilation in the kitchen is an important thing, and hardly anyone can argue with this. Before proceeding with the installation of the hood, you should study its main varieties. So, it is customary to classify this device according to the installation method and mode of operation.
Installation of ventilation in the kitchen will directly depend on the type of device selected. To date, the following are distinguished types of kitchen hoods:
- Embedded. They are installed inside wall cabinets or on a table. Thanks to this, they perfectly fit into any interiors.
- Suspended (they are also called standard or flat). They are fixed between the stove and the wall cabinet. Today it is the most common type of hoods.
Types of hoods regarding the installation method
- Wall mounted. Installed on the wall above the tiles. They can have a very different design, you can see this by looking at the various thematic photos presented on our portal.
- Corner. Are fixed in the corners.
- Island. Suitable for use in kitchens with an island. They can be installed in any room as they are suspended from the ceiling.
By method of work
In addition to the fastening method, hoods are divided according to the type of work:
- Flowing. Their principle of operation is to draw contaminated air into a ventilation shaft (also called air extraction). According to the assurances of professionals, this method is the most effective.
A visual diagram of the hood operation
- Circulating hoods. They pass the air through special charcoal filters, which provide fresh air at the outlet. As the instructions say, they do not need to create an air duct, but this affects the efficiency of the device.
Calculation of the required power
Before buying a hood, you need to calculate what minimum power it should have. Otherwise, the effectiveness of its work will be in question. Of course, this factor depends on the size of the room.
So, the generally accepted formula for calculating the required power is as follows:
P (power) = S (room area) * h (height) * 12
To obtain the most objective figure, 30% is added to the result. This is due to power losses due to the curved shape of the duct.
|Kitchen area, m2||Ceiling height, m||Required power m3 / h|
Table 1: minimum power for standard kitchen sizes
Tip: when purchasing this device, you should also take into account the level of noise emitted during operation. The acceptable limit is 50 dB. Models that emit a higher noise level will bring discomfort to the home.
Before starting the story about how to make ventilation in the kitchen, mention should be made of electrical safety measures. The fact is that splashes of fat and moisture regularly get inside the device, which increases the chance of a short circuit.
With the help of such a cable, grounding must be carried out
In this regard, the exhaust device must be connected to the network with three wires: earth, phase and zero. The grounding cable must be yellow with a green stripe. Before installing the exhaust equipment, high-quality grounding is required.
If the apartment has a ground loop and euro sockets are provided, then no problems will arise. You just need to connect the wire to the ground terminal (it is designated by the word Ground (GND)). If there is no such connector, you can do it yourself by screwing the cable to the case.
However, it may be that the apartment lacks euro sockets and, as a result, grounding. In this case, you need to make the grounding yourself. So, the procedure must be carried out as follows:
- Open the electrical panel (at the entrance) and find a zero bus there.
You will need to find such a bus in the electrical panel
Important! Be extremely careful as the wires are at 220 volts. Wear special rubber gloves.
- Most likely, on it you will find a ready-made pin, on which the neutral wires are draped. This is the very dead neutral and, therefore, the pipe is qualitatively grounded.
- From it you need to lead a stranded wire with a cross section of at least 2.5 mm2 to the kitchen.
- The hood must be connected via a 6, 3 Amp separating machine.
Very important! If any wires are already connected to grounding, then they cannot be disconnected, as this threatens with an electric shock or short circuit. You will need to throw your wires over them by tightening the nut.
Of course, the ventilation device in the kitchen can be different, and the installation process will be different. It is impossible to foresee everything, therefore we will consider this operation using the example of installing a flow hood built into the cabinet. The choice fell on this particular variety due to its wide popularity.
In order to make a really high-quality and efficient ventilation system, you need to start with the construction of a cracker box. It can be made independently from tin, galvanized sheet or aluminum. To do this, you just need to take four sheets of metal and connect them with screws (their variety should be selected depending on the selected material).
With a little imagination, you can create an attractive box that will decorate the kitchen
However, you can make it easier and purchase an anti-return valve. This device is mounted in front of the ventilation shaft and opens like a butterfly. But still, in this article, we will consider a more thorny path.
- For convenience, the case is first placed on a wall cabinet. Further, it is fixed more tightly to the cabinet and all cracks are sealed with polyurethane foam.
- First of all, you just need to try on the firecracker body and make markings on the cabinet for making holes.
- Then you need to remove the cabinet from the wall and cut a hole in the bottom wall with a jigsaw for the bottom frame. To do this, first drill a hole inside the marking area using a large drill. Then a jigsaw saw is inserted into this hole and the desired shape is cut in the cabinet.
- It is better to use foreign instruments, despite the fact that their price is much higher (in terms of their quality, they are several times superior to domestic counterparts). Further, by the same method, holes are made in the inner shelves for the duct. In this case, a margin of 3-5 mm should be left.
Connection diagram of the air duct to the hood
Next, you need to connect the air duct. This is done as follows:
- You need to insert a corrugation into the holes made. In the top wall of the cabinet, she needs to be shaped into a square.
- After that, the corrugation needs to be cut, leaving a small margin, cut the corners and bend them outward.
- Then you can hang the corrugated cabinet on the wall. We must not forget about the treatment of all joints of the duct with a sealant in order to avoid loss of power.
- At the next stage, it is required to fix the box to the cabinet in order to ensure the connection of the corrugation with the ventilation shaft. It can also be placed on silicone by sealing large cracks with polyurethane foam.
Experts recommend before starting work to apply markings directly on the walls for clarity.
- Now you can fix the hood to the cabinet by screwing it in with self-tapping screws. Next, you need to secure the corrugation to the hood as firmly as possible and fix it with a clamp.
- If the hood is connected directly, then you just need to connect the air duct to the ventilation shaft. To facilitate this procedure, you can use a grate with a round hole.
Grille with a special hole simplifies the installation procedure of the corrugation as much as possible
This article discussed in detail how to create an exhaust ventilation. However, certain points may remain unclear - in this case, you can watch the various training videos presented on our website. This is the most optimal way to study something, because without a visual representation it can sometimes be difficult to reveal all the nuances (read also on how to install the hood in the kitchen).