- 1 Why GKL
2 Kitchen design ideas
- 2.1 First idea - multi-level ceiling
- 2.2 Second idea - ceiling partition
- 2.3 The third idea is to combine colors and textures
- 2.4 The fourth idea - roomy mezzanine niches
- 2.5 Fifth idea - original arches
- 2.6 Sixth idea - combination
- 3 Rules for combining colors, shapes and lighting
- 4 Summary
Plasterboard structures help to quickly, cleanly and beautifully correct all the shortcomings of the old ceiling, and it will be relatively inexpensive. But a plasterboard suspended ceiling in the kitchen must be designed taking into account all the features of the room: humidity, lighting, geometry, and the disadvantages of ceiling tiles. Want to know all about it? Read the article!
A sophisticated combination of modern modernity and strict classics
You can think over and design any geometry of the ceiling
The indisputable plus of the gypsum board is that the unusual geometry of the suspended structure will emphasize the features of the chosen interior style and help to visually divide the room into several functional zones.
Warming, ventilation and spectacular decor
When choosing a material for finishing the ceiling in the kitchen, several important parameters must be taken into account:
- It is in the kitchen that good ventilation is important, and especially in the studio kitchen. Stretch ceilings are made of a thin and durable film that completely blocks the movement of moist air vapors. As a result, the smallest drops settle on the ceiling. Drywall "breathes", providing an ideal indoor climate.
In the corners - film coating
If you like film ceilings, there is an alternative. You can decorate a plasterboard ceiling with self-adhesive bright drawings and patterns from a film, it will be cheaper than a stretch coating, and the effect is no worse.
- Film canvases have certain requirements for the power and quality of light bulbs. For incandescent lamps - no higher than 60 W, and for halogen lamps - 35 W. I love bright lights in the kitchen, these requirements stopped me from ordering stretch ceilings.
GKL box around the perimeter
- Drywall is more durable and difficult to damage or tear. And although stretch ceilings are positioned as resistant, it is very easy to tear them when washing.
- The plasterboard construction allows you to arrange a spacious niche in the corner of the kitchen and reliably hide all communications.
There is a possibility of additional insulation and sound insulation
- For private houses, gypsum plasterboard is preferable, as it additionally retains heat in the room and contributes to high-quality ventilation of the kitchen.
An additional plus - the plasterboard suspended ceiling can be placed anywhere, for example, build doors for access and maintenance of communications. This cannot be done with stretch ceilings.
Stylish combination of stretch and false ceilings
The biggest plus of drywall is the price, the cost of such ceilings is 40-50 percent lower than stretch ceilings. But this is if you take high-quality film coatings, and not fake.
Kitchen design ideas
Simple, inexpensive and stylish
Plasterboard ceilings in the kitchen, with proper placement, will help to effectively and conveniently organize the space. How to do it?
First idea - multi-level ceiling
Simple and original
For a kitchen studio, the option of a multilevel ceiling is suitable, as it will help to visually delimit the space of the working and dining areas. If the room is less than 10 square meters, then you can choose an option in two levels, with curved lines and illumination from halogen bulbs along the edge of the wave.
A delightful idea for a kitchen of 15 - 20 square meters or a studio kitchen
The disadvantage of complex multi-level ceilings is that they look bad in rooms with a height below 2m30 cm. It should be borne in mind that one level is about 5 - 8 cm in height. Therefore, designers recommend arranging the second level of the suspended structure from corner to center, by sector, as seen in the photo.
Stretch film in the center and box-plafonds for plafond lamps
Another option for low-rise rooms is a combination of hemmed and suspended structures. Part of the drywall panels are fixed directly to the ceiling, while the second level is mounted on hangers.
The advantage of this installation is high-quality insulation and excellent sound insulation.
Second idea - ceiling partition
In niches of the original shape, you can arrange shelves for storing small items
Structures in the form of a narrow partition of original geometry, which can be lowered from the ceiling, look beautiful. But it is not necessary that such a partition reaches the floor; the room can be effectively divided into several functional zones using small arches or partitions half the height of the room.
A bright stained glass window can be installed in such a partition.
With the help of curved lines and contrasting colors, it is possible to make even a small room much more spacious, without losing convenience and functionality.
Special attention to backlighting
Another plus of plasterboard ceilings is the ability to install any type of lighting and lighting.
The third idea is to combine colors and textures
An example of decor using decorative plaster
Plasterboard ceilings in the kitchen can be covered with any finishing option - plaster, plastic lining, film. Therefore, it is possible to effectively combine several materials of different color and texture, creating an exclusive and unique design.
Convenient GKL shelf
Due to the fact that constructions of any shape can be created from GKL sheets, the possibilities of exclusive kitchen interior design are limited only by the imagination of the owner of the apartment.
Textured plaster "wave"
The combination of glossy and textured surfaces stylized as torn stone or marble looks beautiful, which will decorate the dining area of the kitchen.
The fourth idea - roomy mezzanine niches
Effective combination of different materials and shades
If you make a box for the ceiling around the perimeter of the kitchen wider, then you can not only hide all communications (ventilation, piping and electrics) in it, but also arrange a comfortable roomy niche.
Convenient shelves can be ordered from plaster, which will save furniture costs. But, in this case, the guides for the shelves must be attached to reinforced suspensions.
Construction above the slab and on the sides made of GKL sheets with plastic trim
When they installed a suspended ceiling in the kitchen, I asked to make a microwave box. I have it large and does not fit on the shelves in the headset. It turned out very convenient and there is no need to order additional brackets.
On the sides, this shelf was trimmed "like a wild stone", and glass was used as a door. It looks great. Something like the photo above.
Fifth idea - original arches
With the help of arches, it is easy to divide the room into cozy functional areas
Ceiling arches are a great solution for small spaces. They do not hide the space and divide the studio kitchen into certain zones. Arches are typical for different interior styles. They fit perfectly into the Mediterranean style or highlight the sophistication of a classic interior.
A bold and elegant combination of color and unusual shape
If you make arches from irregular curved lines, then this will help create an original design in the modern Art Nouveau style, which is so fashionable in the coming 2017.
Sixth idea - combination
The effect of a combination of diffused illumination and specular surface
Since gypsum plasterboard is combined with almost all finishing materials, you can choose interesting mixes of natural and artificial finishes:
- The combination of film ceilings in the center with a plasterboard box around the perimeter will make the kitchen taller.
- Wooden artificially aged beams and GKL sheets, finished with decorative plaster, are an excellent solution for ethnic-style kitchens.
- The trendy and popular combination of mirrored glass windows and plasterboard suspended ceilings will create a unique design in a light "flying" style.
- The popular combination of natural stone and plaster finishes looks very impressive, but is only suitable for large rooms.
Spectacular glass stained-glass window in oriental style
- A colored stained-glass window in the center with beautiful illumination will become the center of the composition and an effective design of the kitchen in any style.
Due to the fact that drywall on hanging boxes can be combined with any modern materials, kitchen decoration can be done at a very reasonable cost. And the result will exceed the wildest expectations.
Rules for combining colors, shapes and lighting
Beautiful lighting works wonders
The design of plasterboard ceilings for the kitchen can be very diverse.
But in order for the design to look harmonious and not cause an overwhelming impression, it is important to follow several design rules for any interior:
- It is possible to mount any drywall structures in private houses only after the building has shrunk, and this is at least a year for houses made of stone and brick, and up to three years for log cabins made of wood.
Diffuse overhead lighting
- Along the edge for small kitchens, it is better to choose diffused lighting directed towards the ceiling, so the room looks larger and higher.
- Different glow will also emphasize the functionality of the kitchen areas. Above the work table, brighter spotlights. In the dining area there is soft diffused light using a diode strip.
Beautiful matte mirror insert
- For small kitchens, the design instructions recommend using only a fragment of the suspended structure. For example, a beautifully curved petal or a spectacular semi-arch that starts at the dining table in the corner and ends at the center of the ceiling.
Changing geometry and increasing space
- If the hanging elements are placed in the corners of the room, the room will appear higher.
Inexpensive decor using plastic lining on GKL
- The bent elements of the suspended level pointed to the center will help to visually increase the area.
Diode tape in the interior
- Incorrect room geometry can be corrected by knowing the color features to change the geometry of the space. Dark colors take up volume, while light colors make the kitchen more spacious. Fragmented application of dark color concentrates attention. You can effectively combine the black and white colors that are fashionable this season to make the kitchen more spacious.
A bright accent for a small kitchen
Another plus of the gypsum plasterboard ceiling is that repairs and design changes can be done by hand, without spending money on expensive specialists. The easiest option is to perform even decorative plasterboard plaster, and then simply paint it at your discretion.
If we focus on the textured plaster of the ceiling, then we must take into account that any textured surfaces conceal the area and it is difficult to update their decor yourself.
Interesting design and plasterboard ceilings
I think I convinced you that drywall is a versatile material that works great on kitchen ceilings. However, before installing it, you should also watch the video in this article, where there is still a portion of interesting ideas for decorating such structures. And I invite you to discuss the topic in the comments. I would be glad if you could share interesting and inexpensive design ideas.