In a previous article, I described how to use the available tools can determine the acidity of the soil at any place of your site. I specifically devoted to this subject a separate note, as I consider it very important.
After all, if the plant prefers a neutral soil, then no matter how much you try, in acid it will not grow. This fact has been verified by many gardeners, including me. Therefore, it is very important to plant culture according to their preferences.
However, apart from the acidity of the soil separated by mechanical structure. And this is also a separate very important topic. This article will be devoted to it.
What are the different types of soil
There are many different types and subtypes of soils, but for the application of gardening are important only three main ones:
- Light (sand or sandy loam);
- Medium (loamy);
- Heavy (clay).
You can not call any type of poor or unsuitable for cultivation of vegetable crops. They all have their own characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. In addition, different plants prefer different soils. That is why it is important to be able to distinguish between them.
What it consists of and what each type of effect
Depending on its mechanical composition of the soil have completely different properties.
- Light soil has excellent breathability and quick warming sunlight. In this environment, the root system is easy to breathe and does not feel the physical resistance. However, it can not be considered fertile. Water, which is almost does not accumulate in light soil quickly washes out the nutrients. The substrate is almost always poor and requires constant fertilization.
The main component of the light soil is sand. Its loose structure earth owes him.
- Average soil is some intermediate variant. It accumulates moderately water and has an average breathability. It has the nutrients and micro-organisms in an amount sufficient for the growth of most crops. However, the substrate is still worth it to fertilize and complement, depending on the needs of plants.
- Heavy soil is almost does not pass water, and ventilation it is strongly disturbed. However, this environment for a long time accumulates nutrients and helpful minerals. Despite the long decomposition of organic matter, heavy soils are quite rich.
The main component of the soil is clay. That it gives the ground ductility and toughness.
Determine the type of soil
Determine the type of soil can be on plants growing on it, but this method requires special knowledge. In addition, it can not be used when the land has already been processed and is ready for planting. (It simply no plants).
Therefore, I want to talk about a more universal folk methods. They can take advantage of each. We need only water and very little time.
Recruit a handful of soil, the type of which we wish to determine. Dip your hands into the water together with the ground and immediately pull out. The palms should be dirty, viscous mass. This is exactly what we need.
Now roll off from the resulting mass "sausage" thickness of about 0.5 cm.
- If the "sausage" slipping badly, not keeps the shape and falling apart in his hands, then in front of us light soil;
- If the "sausage" was able to roll, so the soil or medium, or heavy. To determine more precise, we turn off our "sausage" in the ring. If you do not happen, it means to us average soil;
- If"Sausage" was able to roll into the ring, then the soil contains a lot of clay and refers to severe.
This method makes it quite accurately determine the type of soil and the time to take action to change it. (If necessary, of course).
I would be very happy if my article was useful to you. Put the "Thumbs Up" and subscribe to a channel. Thanks!