Many summer residents consider apricot a capricious crop and do not dare to grow it. There are several fruit trees growing on my site and they have already adapted well. I tell you about the secrets of cultivating this plant.
Description of the fruit tree
Apricot can grow up to 8 m. The bark on young trees is gray-brown.
The fruit is juicy, with bright orange flesh. The tree is drought-resistant, bears fruit for 30 years. Tolerates frost down to -30 °C.
Preparation for disembarkation
In order for the tree to bear fruit abundantly, the site and seedlings should be properly prepared.
The soil is chosen fertile, light. There should be no stagnant water on the site.
I have been preparing the planting hole since autumn. I dig a hole, fill it with a mixture of nutrient soil and fertilizers.
I use the following composition:
- manure (one and a half to two buckets);
- granular superphosphate (450–650 g);
- potassium sulfate (450–550 g).
I usually plant apricots in the spring (April), until the buds swell. When planting in autumn, plants may be subject to freezing, since the root system at this time is weak.
Some recommendations for planting in the spring:
- Prepare the hole since autumn.
- Make a layer of drainage at the bottom.
- The size of the hole must be at least 70 × 70 cm.
So that the seedling has time to take root before the first frost, plant it as early as possible. Fall planting tips:
- Plant the tree in a sunny area.
- Dig up the soil.
- Add mineral fertilizers to the soil.
- Make the hole at least 70 cm deep.
Planting a plant
The landing process is quite simple. Sequencing:
- First, hold the roots of the seedling in water for a day.
- Remove damaged and dry roots.
- Before placing in the planting hole, dip the roots in a mixture of clay and manure.
- Straighten the roots, tamp the soil a little.
- Secure the tree with twine by tying it to a peg.
Further care of the trees includes timely watering and regular feeding. It is also necessary to form the crown of apricot trees in time.
It is necessary to approach plant nutrition with responsibility. During the growing season, carry out three top dressings with mineral fertilizers:
- perform the first procedure in June, use nitrogen fertilizer (30–45 g/m2);
- feed a second time with nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium fertilizer;
- Feed the third time with a phosphorus-potassium mixture (in August).
Thus, the apricot comes into fruition 5 years after planting in the soil. If the plant is not transplanted and fertilized in a timely manner, the apricot will begin to bloom in about 3-4 years.
Organics can be applied as soon as the tree reaches the age of ten, otherwise it will freeze slightly.
The plant should be watered for the first time before flowering. Carry out the following procedure during the period of rapid development and ripening of the fruit.
In August, watering should be stopped, because the liquid in the fall harms the trees, and they will not be able to properly prepare for wintering.
To increase fruiting, it is necessary to prune trees annually.
This horticultural culture is not able to shed the ovaries, from which the shoots are overloaded with fruits and later fruit-bearing branches break off on it.
I usually form a crown in the form of a ball. Such pruning is considered the most balanced and proportional.
Following all the recommendations for planting and caring for apricots allows you to grow strong and healthy trees. And after a short period of time you will be able to enjoy delicious, quite juicy and sweet apricots grown in your own garden.
Read also: Pumpkin Honey: variety description. I talk about the intricacies of planting and care
Another related article: Gymnospermous pumpkin: description. My recommendations for growing and further care of the plant
Friends, do not forget to subscribe to the channel and leave a LIKE if the article is useful!
#apricots#cultivation and care#garden