Growing orchids some fun, but there are some problems that lead novice gardeners to despair. It happens that bought or donated orchid after a while begins to wither, or refuses to bloom buds resets.
The reason for the poor state of the plant can be a disease of the root system, the presence of pests or other factors.
In this article I will talk about why begin to rot the roots of orchids and what to do. I have to say, the problem is solved and do not panic.
Why orchid roots rot
The fact that the root system is not in order Phalaenopsis indicate such factors as the abscission of flower buds, loss of turgor of leaves and their subsequent shedding swaying stalk.
Phalaenopsis root rot can occur for various reasons:
- Improper care when the plant receives the excess moisture when watering which stagnates at the roots;
- Poor drainage, even when the amount of water stagnates for a long time in the root system;
- Roots, because of their particular device, not enough sunlight, which allows them to absorb the water.
Solid substrate, wherein the roots do not receive oxygen;
- Overdose fertilizers, which can simply burn the roots, causing them to rot and withering away;
- Mechanical damage during plant transplantation;
- The presence of pests or fungal infection.
And the last important factor - is the aging of the plant.
How to cure orchid
Treatment of diseased plants is the removal of dead or rotten roots, which will require to cook absolutely clean sharp scissors or a knife, which is first necessary to hold it in boiling water, the fire, or treat alcohol.
In addition, you must:
- Stock up charcoal powder, may be used in the absence of activated carbon from your kits;
- Prepare a solution of potassium permanganate or furatsilina;
- Pick up a new tank with transparent walls and clean fresh substrate.
If everything is ready, we proceed to the treatment plant.
Step 1. check the roots
It is necessary to remove the plant from the pot, the roots free from soil and check the status of each. Healthy roots should not be using a finger pushes a button.
It happens that only one place can be necrotic root portion which blocks access of nutrients to the top of the plant.
Step 2. Remove the damaged roots
All dysfunctional part of the root system are cut, then the roots are washed in potassium permanganate solution or furatsilina, then slices treated with charcoal.
Step 3. repot an orchid
Orchid planted in the new substrate, and find her a place where there is enough heat and light, but no direct sunlight.
Conducted operations give the plant the opportunity to start a new healthy life while saving him from pests in the soil.
I would be glad if my article was useful to you. Put the "Thumbs Up" and subscribe to a channel. Thanks!