Brussels sprouts, today, is a rare visitor to the cottage. Some gardeners believe that culture will bring a lot of trouble and need special care. In fact, the plant is not whimsical enough to have some knowledge and fertile soil.
Brussels sprouts has its origins in Europe. It has a delicate flavor and high nutritional content. Differs from other plant crops unusual appearance. In the column of 60 cm length are formed in the form of small fruits kochanchiki which have matured to its weight to 500 g In kochanchiki saved many trace elements, including vitamin C, mineral salts of sodium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, iodine.
What features you need to know for growing Brussels sprouts?
1. To put sprouts on a summer cottage seedlings are first grown in pots at home. The procedure begins in late March and continues until the beginning of May. location of the seedlings should be well illuminated. Pretreated with boiling water the seeds. After the appearance of the first shoots of the pot is removed from the film. Earth watered and loosen timely for admission to the roots of oxygen. Top dressing is added after the formation of the third, fourth sheet.
2. Soil for Brussels sprouts should be loose, saturated organic elements. Mainly used for the cultivation of the type of loam. To impregnate the soil using soil humus. The area on the stalk covers 60x60.
3. Before the formation of the fruit of the cabbage must be spud and do dressing of compost. The soil is loosened, the oxygen supply to the roots of culture. To speed up the ripening process kochanchiki in late August, the top of the stem pinch, add a significant dose of potassium.
4. After maturing kochanchiki collection starts with large fruits, which are at the bottom of the stem. Typical symptoms to start harvesting - yellowing and falling leaves on the stems, kochanchiki covered with a glossy shine.
5. In order to protect crops from pests, gardeners recommend planting cabbage carrots after. To repel cabbage aphids and flies next to a cabbage planted beans. To cabbage can withstand pests, fertilizing used for saturation with nutrients. Timely and abundant watering helps to prevent unwanted attacks of insects. To remove the crucifer flea market gardeners recommend to spray the plant with a special solution of red pepper, mustard and ash.
What else you need to know about Brussels sprouts?
- Fruits of Brussels sprouts and stems can be stored at low temperatures for four months, after thawing, do not lose their nutritional value.
- Culture time can withstand freezing temperatures up to 60C. After a cold cabbage acquires a pleasant flavor.
- Thanks to an extensive root system, this culture will be able to easily withstand a little drought.
- The growing season sprouts up to 150 days. Culture is slowly growing and developing. If necessary, you can grow vegetables indoors. Dig cabbage along trunks from the land with the root system and placed in a vault or greenhouse. All the nutrients from the leaves and stumps are moved into fruition. You must maintain a culture of watering and remove the yellowing leaves.
These recommendations for growing Brussels sprouts formulated by experienced gardeners. You just need to take into account the specific conditions and characteristics of the development of culture, to the autumn harvest to get rich in vitamins.