Old roofing material have virtually every gardener. This secondary material remains after the repair of the roof, demolition of buildings, and many other construction works.
Bear heavy and bulk roofing material in the trash rather problematic, so often recycled is sent for storage in the remote corners of the land. Such warehouses rank and spoil the appearance of the plot.
In this article I want to talk about how to usefully apply the old roofing material in his garden. Why store something that can benefit?
1. Shelter roses
From the old roofing material and the wooden frame can make an excellent shelter for the roses. Such a structure will withstand any amount of snow to keep warm and will protect the bushes from excess moisture.
It does not matter if in the roofing material will be small holes from the nails. The material can be put in two layers, making the shelter sealed.
The most reliable design is recognized as a tent. She would not let snow accumulate and push the roofing material.
Always leave the ventilation openings, or roses can start to rot. The design of "hut" ventilation is provided at both ends. This is quite sufficient to ventilate even 6 meters shelter.
2. Protection against rodents
Old roofing material is perfect to protect the bark from hungry rodents. Building material is wrapped around a tree trunk in multiple layers and fixed conventional wire.
Always put a space between the defense and the tree trunk. It is necessary for the preservation of air and water exchange. Never wrap up the trunk back to back, as shown in the figure on the right. Such protection would not give the tree to breathe and violates heat exchange.
Creating protection consider the future level of snow to rodents have not been able to reach out to vulnerable areas. For example, on the right, the protection was made without taking into account the level of snow. Therefore, rodents can easily get to open the cortex.
3. Paths between the beds
From the old roofing material can be made practical and durable paths between the beds, but it is very important to follow a few simple rules.
- Roofing material should be laid on a level of rammed earth. The surface should be pits, stones, roots and other obstacles. Otherwise, the material quickly rub off or broken. To track served for a long time, you need to roofing material tightly to the ground;
- To avoid water accumulation after rain, the surface of the track should be slightly bent;
- Joints of sheets of roofing material is best to cover with hot bitumen.
Laid roofing felt need in several layers, especially if it has holes or damage.
4. For mulching beds
Some gardeners use the old roofing material for mulching garden beds of weeds. In fact, replacing them all the familiar black film. However, I would not advise to do so.
- Firstly, roofing felt strongly heated by the sun, which can lead to overheating of the roots and prenyl;
- Secondly, under the roofing material will be collected slugs and snails. Get out the pests would be very difficult;
- Third, the old roofing material can crumble and leave a lot of debris on the beds.
I would be glad if my article was useful to you. Put the "Thumbs Up" and subscribe to a channel. Thanks!