There are many ways to store carrots, but none of them does not guarantee the safety of the crop. Even if you properly prepare the vegetables for storage and to create the ideal conditions, from 5 to 10% of root crops will still be lost.
Let's look at the major diseases that each year take away the lion's share of the harvest. After all, knowing the problem from the inside, we will be able in time to make the right decision and prevent the return of the infection.
The most important rule of any storage - periodically check the inventory. As soon as you notice that some root began to deteriorate, it is necessary to immediately isolate (throw garbage in the farthest). Otherwise, the disease spread rapidly and you lose the whole crop.
Be sure to note the location where the damaged root lying. All the neighbors urgent need to check for the presence of the same disease. Even if the fruit looks healthy, it is better to send deposited in a separate box. So it will be safer.
From what carrot rot?
There are some of the most common diseases that occur during storage in the form of rot.
- Sclerotinia (in a simple white rot);
- Botritioz (in a simple gray mold);
- Alternaria (in a simple black rot);
- Gangrene Gangrène (in a simple dry rot);
- Fusarium (Fusarium or rot);
Most often, these fungal diseases infect carrot, long before she will go to storage. This happens at a stage of growth and development, as well as during the harvest and sorting. Even the smallest scratch can cause the penetration of the fungus.
Active stage of these diseases is necessary just for the period of storage so infected fruits easily miss. They are no different from normal.
If the root is already infected, you need to get rid of it. No other way. Cure it will not work. (And do not make sense) But, knowing about the problem in the next year it is necessary to conduct preventive measures. Otherwise the infection will return.
How to reduce the risk of disease?
Since all of these diseases are very similar, preventive measures will also be the same. Of course, each disease has its own characteristics, but we will talk about the main.
To next season your carrot does not become a victim of a fungal infection, you must:
- It is mandatory to comply with crop rotation;
- Time to harvest;
- To disinfect the premises or drawer where carrots are stored. This can be done by using chlorine bleach;
- Do not forget to make the soil, phosphate and potash fertilizers;
- Carry out thermal disinfection of seeds;
- Promptly isolate infect the root;
- Refers to the Roots are very careful, because even a slight injury can cause infection.
By following these simple rules, you reduce the risk of recurrent disease in dozens of times.
I would be glad if my article was useful to you. Put the "Thumbs Up" and subscribe to a channel. Thanks!